Lower Market to Embarcadero Center
8. At Market and Sutter is Citicorp Center, preserving elements of the Holbrook Building and Anglo & London Paris National Bank (Pissis, 1910). A full-scale bronze replica of The Star Girl, theme of the Panama Pacific Exposition of 1915 (by A. Stirling Calder, 1870-1945), presides over the inviting plaza.
9. At the foot of Bush is the bronze The Mechanics (Tilden, 1890), a landmark to visitors and locals alike.
10. Nearby a sidewalk plaque indicates the 1850 shoreline.
11. Levi Strauss Company has had many locations since its founding in the Gold Rush era here at Battery and Bush. Now its headquarters include a gracious plaza on Battery in the shadow of Telegraph Hill. See their museum, site 34, Jackson Square District.
12. Near Front and California is the oldest restaurant in the West (1849), Tadich Grill, in its third site in the heart of downtown.
13. Embarcadero Center is between Sacramento and Washington, Battery and Drumm. Nearby was the original Produce District.
14. Opposite on Sacramento below Front Street is the site of Fort Gunnybags, where a plaque marks the Vigilante movement of the 1850s that brought peace to the City.
15. At the foot of California on Market is a fine monument to native San Franciscan Robert Frost, near the cable car turn-around. The San Francisco Pacific Coast Appeal, a pioneer African-American newspaper here in the 1860s; will be honored by a plaque.
Copyright © 2012 Gold Rush Trail Foundation